Thursday, February 2, 2023

7th chemo

chemo7
Good morning sunshine! Rise and shine, it's time for my 7th round of chemo-licious adventure. I stumbled out of bed, slathered the lidocaine cream over the port and went back to bed.  I have to apply the cream an hour and a half before the blood draw, and considering that today's appointment was at 7:30.... you get the idea. So, at 6:50 am I threw on my favorite superhero cape (a.k.a my comfy front zipped sweatshirt for easy access to a port, but need to get another one of these) and headed off to conquer cancer.

At the infusion center, I was greeted by my trusty chemo team who were ready to pump me full of goodness. As they hooked me via port, I noticed I was feeling a bit more tired than usual and dizzy, which is new for me, but I refused to let it dampen my spirits. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and started humming my own theme song. And then I realized what was missing -- yummy food to fuel my body and keep my strength up. George got me a huge salad from Sweetgreens and life started to look much better. Salad is not congee (my super crazy craving lately) but it is much better than the days of bland chips and breakfast bars offered at the Dana Farber center. I'm a salad connoisseur now!

Before I knew it, the infusion was over and I made it home by 2 pm and spent the rest of the day indulging in some well-deserved rest.

I snuggled up in bed with a good book, "The Forty Rules of Love" by Elif Shafak, and allowed my mind to wander into a world of love and adventure, or at least trying to get sucked in.

1 comment:

  1. My thoughts, well expressed by this Brian:
    "I’m taking a lot of different medications during my cancer treatment. All of them have some weird type of side effect — compulsive behavior like the sudden urge to gamble, even amnesia. Why can’t there be a positive side effect, like you’ll be able to punt a football real well?

    That goes for my radiation treatment as well. All bad side effects. In the movies, radiation always produces good side effects. Like when you get angry you turn green, increase in size and can lift 100 times your own weight.

    Or if you get bit by a radioactive spider, you can climb walls and shoot elastic goo out of your wrist.
    — Brian Borbot

    ReplyDelete

Labels

chemotherapy (29) chemo side effects (24) friends (12) radiation (12) cancer (10) fun (10) keytruda (9) food (7) biopsy (6) fatigue (6) insurance (6) port (6) testing (6) hell (5) iv (5) recharge (5) scan (5) test results (5) MRI (4) celebration (4) chemo (4) doctor (4) hair loss (4) hospital (4) mammogram (4) side effects (4) support (4) surgery (4) taxol (4) acupuncture (3) benadryl (3) carboplatin (3) diagnosis (3) operation (3) protocol (3) radiology (3) wig (3) Clark Museum (2) Dana Farber (2) allergic reaction (2) arthritis (2) ct scan (2) cytoxan (2) emotianl state (2) emotional state (2) everyday life (2) family (2) funny (2) genetic testing (2) hair (2) nurse (2) preparation for chemotherapy (2) second opinion (2) treatment (2) trip (2) triple negative (2) tumor (2) turban (2) zofran (2) 1st chemo (1) Faulkner hospital (1) HER2 (1) Lahey (1) MassMoca (1) RSL (1) accupuncture (1) adriamycin (1) adriamycinche (1) birthday (1) blood work (1) blue cross blue shield (1) bone scan (1) brain fog (1) cravings (1) daughter (1) depression (1) diarrhea (1) discovery (1) dressing (1) drugs (1) estrogen receptor (1) halfway (1) hospitals (1) how to tell you have cancer (1) hugs (1) infusion room (1) invasive carcinoma (1) lessons learned (1) low white cells (1) music (1) mutations (1) nausea (1) new year (1) pathology (1) pepcid (1) pink (1) plans (1) pneumonitis (1) progesterone receptor (1) reduction (1) referral (1) respite (1) response (1) results (1) rides (1) samples (1) scheduling (1) self-diagnostic (1) seroma (1) soups (1) statistics (1) suppliments (1) survival (1) tissues (1) tokens (1) travel (1) treatment regiment (1) ultrasound (1)